16 January, 2008

As promised ...

Here's a pic of "Fetching" actually being modelled, so it does actually mean that I managed to produce a mitt that fitted, heh heh!




Trying to balance a camera in one hand and take a halfway decent photo is totally beyond my capabilities, so please bear with me ...

Breaking News!!!!

I covered a job in the Housing Maintenance Department a couple of months ago for the postholder to be able to go away on holiday, it's the type of job that needs someone there all the time and two weeks would have meant that the Inspectors would have ended up with no work to do. The work comes in, has to be logged in, then there's a series of steps taken before the work actually gets to them, anyway, I really enjoyed doing the work, it was totally manic but I got on with it, there were no disasters and the team seemed to like me. I think "please apply for the job if it ever comes up" clinched it. Well the postholder has now handed her notice in.

I had a chat to my line manager this morning, in fact, she was the one that told me that it had come up and I bit the bullet and told her I'd like to go for it. Now here's the stinger, it's a full time post (34.5 hours a week) and I currently work 29 with no way I can work anymore because of Bec. She's too young to be in the house on her own yet and I don't think it's fair to ask my mother to have her for another three days as she's already looking after her for two as it is. The team have already told me that they are more than happy to cover as they don't have to worry about cover during the lunch break as I work five hours straight through. Swings and roundabouts ...

I managed to have a chat with the Head of Department and we talked through most things, he also mentioned the hours but I think if he feels I'm right for the post, then he'll be able to work around that especially if I have support from the team already. Either way I have to apply for it, whether it goes internally, externally or secondment. Either way, he told me to definitely go for it. Can't say fairer than that.

My nerves are fraught.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Good luck Nichola. It sounds as if everyone is behind you and happy to accomodate things with Nic too. Go for it!!